A 2.5D adventure/platformer from designer Ron Gilbert and Double Fine Productions. The game is available via PS3's Playstation Network and the Wii U's eShop as of January 22, 2013; as well as Xbox Live Marketplace, and Steam for PC, Mac and Linux as of January 23, 2013.
Players must first pick three of seven character archetypes: the wise monk, the brave adventurer, the slack-jawed hillbilly, the methodical scientist, the mysterious time traveler, the loyal knight, or the creepy twins. After picking, players are dumped into a cave, which can talk and provides all of the game's narration, as well as the occasional philosophical discussion. Players must solve a number of puzzles to resolve each of their character's main problems. For example, the hillbilly character's quest is to try and find true love within the cave. By the end of the journey, players can decide whether or not each of their adventurer's has learned their lesson by deciding to leave the cave with or without their prized possession. A different set of Cave Paintings are unlocked for each of the outcomes.
In total, there are seven playable characters in the game; however, the player may only select a party of three. The following is a list of playable characters in the game:
- The Adventurer: She is hot on the trail of her lost companions and unequaled ancient treasure.
- The Hillbilly: On this fine night, he searches for his true love.
- The Scientist: She is on the cusp of a great discovery for all of humankind.
- The Monk: He seeks a journey filled with peace and enlightenment... and murder.
- The Time Traveler: She is here to right a wrong a million years in the making.
- The Knight: He is on a quest for a sword of unequaled power and prestige.
- The Twins: They just want to go outside and play... what could be more innocent than that?
Wii U Gamepad Features
Tap on characters to switch. Double tap character to switch camera focus to that character. No off-screen play.