Risen 2: Dark Waters is a pirate-themed sequel to the 2009 RPG Risen. Just like Risen and the Gothic series, it focuses on exploration and freedom of choice. It uses an enhanced Risen engine with licensed components (SpeedTree, PhysX, etc.) Risen 2 is Piranha Byte's most expensive project to date.
The nameless protagonist has become a drunkard, plagued by the memories of the events that occurred in Risen. He lives in the last refuge of Inquisition, Caldera. But a new threat rises; monsters, risen from the depths of the sea, attack and sink many ships, endangering the island's supply situation. The man is ordered to investigate one of the wrecked ships. During the investigation he meets Patty, a character from the preceding game. They discover that captain Steelbeard, Patty's father, has found a way to sail the seas without getting harmed by monster attacks. They team up to find the captain and his secret.
Risen 2's gameplay core is similar to Risen and the Gothic series, however, there are some changes and additions. The most notable is the replacement of bows and crossbows with guns and rifles. Risen 2's world consists of several islands, and it has been said that they have the size of Faranga, the Island where the events of Risen took place.
Players can sail between the islands by ship, and they can also hire companions for it.
Some facts regarding Risen 2's gameplay:
- Players can craft weapons, but not armor.
- The armor is made of individual sets of boots, gloves, hats, upper and lower clothing etc.
- There will be 5 categories of skills: melee, archery, cunning, hardness and magic.
- When players loot their enemies, an inventory screen won't appear unlike in the first game.
- Dirty tricks are the new addition to the game (part of the Cunning skill). For example, players can kick their enemy, throw sand to his eyes, or distract him with a parrot.
- Staves, shields and swimming will not be available in the game.