Based on Sega-AM2's Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers series, Last Bronx is a three-button fighting game set in an alternate version of the modern Japanese prefecture of Tokyo, where gang warfare is rampant. Players choose from eight gang leaders as they fight in an underground tournament to determine who would rule the streets of Tokyo.
It was later ported to the Sega Saturn in 1997, and then for the PC in 1998. Both ports have special features, such as a new game modes (including a new Story Mode) and online multiplayer (PC only). The game later received a Japanese-exclusive port for the PlayStation 2 (as part of the SEGA AGES 2500 series) on June 29, 2006, adding its own variety of special game modes.
The game includes eight playable characters (each of which lead a specific gang in a specific region of Tokyo) and one final boss (who is only playable with a cheat code).
- Yusaku Kudo - Fights with a three-section staff.
- Joe Inagaki - Fights with metal nunchaku.
- Nagi Hojo - Fights with a pair of sais.
- Hiroshi "Tommy" Tomiie - Fights with a large wooden staff.
- Saburo Zaimoku - Fights with a large wooden hammer.
- Yoko Kono - Fights with a pair of wooden tonfas.
- Lisa Kusanami - Fights with a pair of metal sticks.
- Toru Kurosawa - Fights with a wooden training sword.
- Red Eye (final boss, playable with cheat code) - Fights with a pair of metal tonfas.